Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 5, 2012: How To Incorporate Color Into Your Work Wardrobe

If you asked me what colors I thought personified summer I would say orange/coral and turquoise. Those three two colors just scream sun kissed fun in the sun to me. One of the things that I have been trying to do with them is incorporate them into my work wardrobe in fun and appropriate ways. While little pops of color are always most appropriate in very corporate environments, I think this outfit might push the envelope a bit... or maybe I'm just totally paranoid about dressing for work. After thinking about it here are a few tips and tricks I have under my belt for bringing more color into my (work) life:
  • Neutral + Pop Of Color - One of the easiest and least jarring ways to accomplish the goal of incorporating bright colors into a work wardrobe is by including small amounts of color in a largely neutral or basic outfit. And this rule applies  The easiest way to do this is with jewelry but, really any small amount of color thrown in there does the trick!
  • Nail It - If you can't reconcile wearing bright colored clothing or accessories in the office then maybe you can get on board with polishing your nails in a stand out shade. This is a good first step for those who might have an aversion to color generally.   
  • One Focal Point - It is also easier to wear a bright color when you create one point to focus on so, instead of wearing multiple eye catching pieces you just wear one and anchor your look with that. It could be a a simple shirt, a piece of jewelry, or a pair of shoes... whatever works for you.
  • Fun shoes/Fun tights - I feel like this tip might be a little trickier to pull off especially when it comes to tights. People might do a double take if you are wearing some killer shoes in an eye catching color but, probably not think twice about it. However, Tights occupy alot more space on your body, naturally and draw significant attention. Purple and teal are normally safe bets. Get ready for the comments either way!

And now onto what I wore... I guess with this outfit I combined a few all of the rules but, as we know I'm not afraid of color. I think overall it's still work appropriate but, bright and perfect for the summer. How do you incorporate color into your work wardrobe?
  • Top: orange crochet embellished shirt, LOFT (same shirt different color here, here, here, here and here); beige blazer, Tahari via Loehmanns (part of this suit)
  • Bottom: gray pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessories: turquoise peep toe flats, xhiliration for Target; turquoise and silver earrings, Pennyweights; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF    

Items from this outfit are previously seen and remixed here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, herehereherehereherehere, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...