Sunday, May 1, 2011

One Year, No Repeats

I have finally gotten around to this monster of a post. I started this whole project with the idea that I had 260 posts ahead of me I was nervous about the number even more than the idea of not repeating an outfit. Now, 374+ posts later I am ready to try and wrap up this experience and all those posts in one potentially paltry (in comparison) collection of summations.



I won't put it all in pictures and links... In this past year I have worn 213 different outfits to work; 111 different tops, 10 blazer, 24 dresses, 37 skirts, 23 pairs of pant like things (slacks, bermudas, capris, gauchos, etc) and 6 pairs of jeans. Although I was not counting them in the outfit equation I have used 49 pairs of shoes, 23 necklaces, 38 pairs of earrings, 1 bracelet, and 16 handbags to spice up my outfits. That all being said, there are still things in my closet that you haven't seen! Here are some of my favorite outfits from each month but, I'll be honest there were some months where it was really hard to choose there were just so many good ones! Did you have any favorites? 


April 2010


May 2010:




August 2010 (toughest month to pick a favorite):


September 2010:


November 2010:




February 2011:



I continued to post weekend/night out outfits when I thought they were noteworthy. Someone had commented that they used the weekends to repeat all the outfits that they wore during the week but, as you can see that is not the case for me! To be honest some days during the weekend I spend the entire time in sweats because I don't go anywhere and no one really wants to see pictures of that, do you?





I participated in a number of challenges and theme weeks which really broke up the monotony of remixing from my existing wardrobe. I also started participating in other blogger projects which helped in a similar and more consistent way.



One of the main challenges of this whole experience was not shopping. Once I started getting into the groove of remixing from my closet it was easy to go to the mall and walk away from cute clothes and "good" deals. I am no longer a recovering drug addict dating crack! If you don't understand watch this video and laugh. Or not, your choice but, I digress... I learned alot about the things that triggered my urge to shop (boredom, unhappy feelings) and also learned that stores put everything on sale all the time! There is no limited time only offer, it's such a scam. Armed with this new knowledge there were some months that I didn't buy anything at all and in this past year I ended up spending (drumroll, please) $148.60!!! It is such an extreme difference but, only those who knew me before 260 Days, No Repeats would understand the stark contrast.

That being said there were times when my Mom or other generous people gifted me with clothes or store credits. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and tell them to stop. The point of this experience was not to avoid increasing the size of my wardrobe, it was for me to stop spending so much money on clothes. Those two things are definitely linked but, are not synonymous. That being said, I think moving forward I will be a little clearer about new or new to me things that enter my wardrobe.

One of the biggest (and unforeseen) challenges that arose was that I gained some alot of weight. A moment of  honesty, probably about 30/35 pounds.It is a challenge on so many levels! Of course there is the natural unhappiness that one feels when gaining weight but, there is also the discomfort I felt when getting in front of the camera to take the pictures. I see the difference in how I look in older pictures compared to now and I feel how my clothes fits. The most difficult part of this is that since I am trying not to shop I can't pick up a pair of black "fat" pants so I need to work with what I have. I just need to get to the gym!

I wasn't sure when I started 260 Days, No Repeats that it would grow as much as it has. I couldn't be happier! In the past year I have had 18,971 visitors and there have been 40,258 page views. I know that is something that other more popular bloggers experience in a month or so but, I'll take what I can get. Either way, it has been good enough to get some fun free goodies and sponsored giveaways which I'm sure we have all enjoyed! I have been thinking about connecting with some affiliates/monetizing the blog but, all in good time I guess...

Moving forward, as you might have guessed I will keep things going with year two! Excited? I am... Here are the new(er) rules. We're still following the original rules but, with a caveat for dresses. I wore some really fantastic dresses last year but, wasn't sure how to remix them all according to the rules. Then I realized, I am writing the rules! Have I mentioned, 2 + 2 = 4? Revelations people... but, I digress. All dresses are fair game as they are! I will try to mix it up with snazzy accessories but, don't feel the need to go out of my way all the time using dresses as skirts and so on...

Lastly I just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has been reading and following along. I wouldn't have stuck with this challenge as long if it wasn't for you! I appreciate everyone who has commented, collaborated with me, linked back to me, or just popped in. You are all fantastic!! I also want to say thank you to the people who are "behind the scenes" like BF and my family/friends. They help me with the everyday stuff  like pictures and outfit selection (ex: is this outfit too crazy?) but, also with the special situations that arise whether it's an event or just me stressing out! I love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...