Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3, 2012: Overthinking My Style

Tonight I am going to a lecture about the artwork of Diego Rivera after work. While I probably would have time to scoot home and change that seems silly considering how close the lecture location is to my office. This morning Last night I faced the challenge of picking an outfit that would be appropriate for work, as well as, this artsy event afterwards. Let me walk you through my thought process because it’s actually kind of ridiculous/hilarious.

The one painting that pops into my mind when I think of Diego Rivera (after his self portraits and his weird crazy face/lazy eye) is this one:

Image courtesy of art-prints-gallery.com
I didn’t want to dress up like a Mexican peasant (not work appropriate) but, I thought it might be interesting to take inspiration from the Calla Lilys that are present throughout many of his works. Everything that I came up with felt like I was trying way too hard i.e: Iris as a Calla Lily? I would never probably not get to that outfit combo (a green skirt with white and yellow on top) organically. Then I saw this painting:

Image courtesy of northjersey.com

I thought I could be the woman defending against a soldier’s attack while holding her baby but, I don’t really have an office appropriate dress that fits my interpretation of that ensemble or a baby… Then I thought about swaddling myself from head to toe in neutral colors AKA black, as most artist do in cliché portrayals. Thankfully, I came to my senses and decided to dress like I normally would! Also, 2 + 2 = 4, revelations…
  • Top: orange crochet neck blouse, LOFT (same shirt different color here, here, here, here and here); khaki safari jacket, LOFT (same jacket different color herehereherehere, and here)   
  • Bottom: brown and orange tweed skirt, LOFT
  • Shoes & Accessories: brown pumps, Candies for Kohls; Camilla Ring, Stella & Dot; Amelia Earrings, Stella & Dot; brown self-winding watch, Kenneth Cole/borrowed from BF; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF
 

    Items from this outfit are previously seen and remixed here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, hereherehereherehereherehere, here, here, here, here and here.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...