Sunday, May 6, 2012

April 24, 2012: The Last Straw

You remember the awkward conversation that I had with my boss, right? O, you don't... catch up! I am sad to report that it happened yet again... She sat me down to inform me that someone had bought my ensemble to her attention and that it was not appropriate. The focus of the conversation was my skinny pants (which I have worn plenty of times before) but, the overall (unspoken) message was that I am personally being held to a different wardrobe standard. Here are some of the highlights of the conversation:
  • The company is a business casual office
    • Formal professional attire only 
  • Skinny pants are not appropriate
  • I should wear more suits
    • I don't have to wear more suits but, cardigan sets are ok
  • Also, nice suits are good
    • But, and nice sweater and shirt are great
Some of these things might seem contradictory but, that is how the conversation went. I'm glad that my boss was very relatively clear about expectations. While my outfit might have prompted someone to feel that it was less than professional it was the last conversation about wardrobe that I want to have. I am going to turn over a new (hopefully not boring) leaf. What does that mean? Basically shopping for more suits. Yes, shopping and suits... We'll see how this goes. At this point, I am throwing their sad excuse for a "dress code" out the window and focusing on dressing to the high standards that I am (apparently) being held to. Goodbye skinny pants... 
  • Top: beige short sleeve scoop neck sweater, GAP (same sweater different color here, here, herehere, here, here, and here) with a tank top underneath for the modesty; black pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via SYMS (part of this suit)
  • Bottom: gray really skinny pants, GAP
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack ballet flats, Xhiliration for Target; silver bead earrings, Tiffany & Co.;  silver watch, Fossil; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

Items from this outfit are previously seen and remixed hereherehereherehere, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...