Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What To Wear To An Interview

So, as I mentioned before I did a little looking before I landed this job and while I was going through all that I decided to catalog my interview outfits. I figured it would be a good lesson for anyone who isn't sure what to wear when that big day comes.

In November I had an interview with another non-profit the same day as a job fair. I just swapped the cardigan I was wearing for a the suit jacket and it was a done deal. That day I was just happy I wasn't expected back in the office... In the end it wasn't the job for me (we were both on the same page about that) but, at least I got a little interview practice.
  • Topivory shirt with crochet embellishment, LOFT; black pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via SYMS
  • Bottomblack pinstripe suit skirt, Calvin Klein via SYMS
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack pumps, Steve Madden; pearl earrings, gift from Mom; black spy bag, Fendi (not pictured)

My next interview was about two weeks ago. Like I said before, things took a turn for the serious! I didn't want to wear the same old suit that I wear for every occasion that calls for a suit (see above) so I reached into my closet to find something different. This was one of the few moments where I was grateful for my past shopping transgressions! Years ago I had purchased this Isaac Mizrahi suit from Target on SUPER clearance (like less than $20 SUPER) and had never utilized it fully. My mom took in the skirt but, I never had a need for the jacket until now... I think it was a total winner!
  • Top: yellow ruffle collar shirt, LOFT; gray wool blazer, Isaac Mizrahi for Target
  • Bottomgray wool pencil skirt, Isaac Mizrahi for Target/hemmed by Mom
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack pumps, Steve Madden; silver bead earrings, Tiffany & Co.dusty mauve butterfly tote, GAP (not pictured)


My second interview for my new job occurred on the same day that NYC was hit with 19 inches of snow. Thanks snow! I think this suit was the one thing that went right because I didn't worry at all about the cold or wetness just how I was going to make it there on time... thankfully I got a very early start and BF was home to help dig the car out and I drove since the bulk of NYC's public transportation was shut down/delayed/who knew.
  • Toporange dolman sleeve top, Xhiliration for Target; navy pinstripe blazer, Tahari via Loehmanns
  • Bottom: navy pinstripe pants, Tahari via Loehmanns
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack Madison Heights Tall Boots, Timberland via Zappos; pearl earrings, gift from mom; dusty mauve butterfly tote, GAP (not pictured)

To sum it all up, here are some thing that I now know undoubtedly to be true about what to wear when interviewing:
  • You cannot go wrong with a suit, ever.
  • That being said, it doesn't have to be an expensive suit just a well made one.
  • When it comes to accessories: the simpler the better.
  • Boots are OK when there are almost two feet of snow on the ground.
  • A solid bright color top really makes you shine.
Don't forget to enter the giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...