Saturday, February 2, 2013

Unposted Outfits: Spring 2012

Time is flying by, it's already the spring! I wish... The only thing that could have made (f)unemployment better (besides immediately getting a new job) would have been warmer weather. I would be outside everyday soaking up the Vitamin D and working on my tan while applying for jobs and all that good stuff. Instead we are still steeped in winter, snow, and frigid cold... o well. At least I have some examples of outfits for warmer weather to come with these Spring outfit posts and the subsequent Summer outfits that are on the horizon.

Here comes that hair dilemma again, I think this is a pretty professional outfit but, the fact that my hair is swept up in an unintentionally messy bun really detracts from that. Lesson learned... a professional look is the whole package! It's too bad that my hair isn't straight all the time it would make this a really easy fix but, I would miss my curls.
  • Topblue ruffled blouse, Atelier via Loehmanns; tank top underneath for the modesty; gray plaid blazer, Jones New York via Mom
  • Bottom: black wide leg pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessories: silver hardware embellished flats, Preview via Nordstrom Rack; silver bead earrings, Tiffany & Co.Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

Bamn! Straight hair instantly ups the polished-ness of the outfit and even though it's not particularly exciting it works in a snore worthy, boring kind of way. 
  • Toppink sweater with black trim, Alfani via Macy's via Mom; black and white pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via SYMS (part of this suit)
  • Bottom: black wide-leg pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack ballet flats, Mossimo via Target; coin pearl necklace, V'ta jewelry; coin pearl earrings, borrowed from Mom then altered by me; silver watch, Fossil; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

I committed to purple with this outfit in a very matchy matchy way. I can't say that I completely dislike the way the outfit came out but, I think I might need to push the envelope with the next pairings for this blazer and/or dress within the bounds of professional propriety of course. I'm thinking green dress with the blazer, it's been a while since the joker stopped by...
  • Toppurple, white, and black floral print dress, LOFT with a tank top underneath for the modesty; purple wool blazer, Victoria Holley/Mom's closet cleanout
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Nine West; rhinestone earrings, New York and Company/gift from BF's parent's; black plume brooch, Stella & Dot Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

If you've been around for a while you have seen this outfit before, I highlighted it in my year two outfit roundup. I love the dress and wish I got to wear it more but, there are only so many ways to style a black and white dress... actually there are alot of ways so, expect to see it again!
  • TopBirds Who Gossip Dress, eShakti.com (on sale now, save on extra 15% with code FEB15OFF) with a tank top underneath for the modesty; black cropped jacket, Express
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Nine West; pearl earrings, Macys/gift from Mom;  black belt, came with this Adrienne Vitadinni dress; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

This is one of my favorite shirts to wear to work, it works really well under any complimentary cardigan or blazer., it's a little summery but, when have I ever seasons stop me before? There are very few things in my wardrobe that I declare off limits as the seasons shift; sleeveless or lightweight shirts can become layering pieces and sweaters are good to keep around for chilly nights or over air conditioned situations. How do you handle shifting your wardrobe for the seasons?
  • Topcoral artist tank, Merona for Target; black and white pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via SYMS (part of this suit)
  • Bottomblack true straight pants, GAP/gift from BF
  • Shoes & Accessoriesleopard print flats, New York and Company; pearl earrings, Macys/gift from Mom; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

While this outfit is definitely professional it's so boring... there has to be a better way to spice it up. I think something as simple as wearing leopard print flats might have added enough visual interest to keep me from snoozing. I thought the embellishment on the shirt would do it but, alas it did not. How would you spice this basic look up?
  • Topwhite rosette embellished t-shirt, LOFT (same shirt different color herehereherehereherehere, and here); navy blue pinstripe blazer, Tahari via Loehmanns
  • Bottom: gray pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack ballet flats, Mossimo via Target; silver bead earrings, Tiffany & Co.Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

This is a colorful, fun, AND professional outfit. I can have it all! I don't remember how it went over in the office but, I feel like it was probably acceptable if nothing else but, probably not ideal by the vague  standards that I was held to. Would you be able to get away with this at your current professional environment.
  • Topaqua dolman sleeve top, Old Navy with a tank top underneath for the modesty; brown and black zebra print cardigan, New York & Company 
  • Bottom: black pencil skirt (with pockets,) Old Navy
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Nine West; silver and gold teardrop earrings, V'ta Jewelry; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

If I shopped more consistently I would focus on thrift stores. You can really come across fantastic wardrobe pieces for a song. This dress is a great example of that. When I wore it to work I got lots of compliments and even had one person mistake it for a dress from Anthropolgie, WIN!
  • Top: blue, white, and red vintage dress, Three R's via The Unique Thrift Store with a tank top underneath for the modesty; black blazer, Ann Taylor via Melissa
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Candie's via Kohl's; black tights, Hanes Silk Reflections courtesy of Hanes via Robert Verdi's Luxe Labpearl earrings, Macys/gift from Mom; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

Is this outfit any less boring than other previously seen boring outfits? Maybe, maybe not but, I'm liking it! It's not exactly a compulsory color palette and the metallic accents are great. This must have been the point in the wear where the weather was warming up, I wish we were there now...
  • Topdark brown scoopneck sweater, GAP (same sweater different color here and here) with a tank top underneath for the modesty; navy blue pinstripe blazer, Tahari via Loehmanns
  • Bottom: navy blue pinstripe pants, Tahari via Loehmanns
  • Shoes & Accessoriessilver Stella wedge pumps, Seychelles via DSW;  signature clover chandelier earrings, Stella & DotNeverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

Despite my day three (or four) curls, I am loving this outfit, I think the pattern mixing is fabulous and that dress is a comfy one plus, the classic color combination... done! Also, it's pretty professional and that is the end goal for a work outfit, right? Either way I would wear this for lots of occasions beyond work.
  • Topblack and white faux wrap dress, Merona for Target with a tank top underneath for the modesty; black and white pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via SYMS (part of this suit)
  • Shoes & Accessoriesred patent leather flats, Payless; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF


Sometimes neutral is the way to go. While some people might think that neutrals are boring, I think that they can be great together when utilizing different patterns or textures. Do you mix neutrals or is that a fashion no no? 
  • Topblack sweater, LOFT/Mom's closet clean-out ; brown and black zebra print cardigan, New York & Company
  • Bottom: gray pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessoriesblack ruffle embellished flats, Audrey Brooke via DSW; my abuela's vintage silver hoops; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF


I love this dress, it's so comfy and easy to wear it almost feels like cheating, do you have pieces in your wardrobe that are like that? I honestly thought that it had migrated to the ladies section from maternity at the thrift store but, this is not a maternity designer. WIN! Do ever have those moments where you see maternity things and kind of wish you were pregnant and could wear them with no judgement? I'm talking about Liz Lange maternity from Target. It totally bums me out when I spot those pieces on the sales rack...
  • Top: black cowl neck dress, Robbie Bee via The Unique Thrift Store
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Nine West; silver bead earrings, Tiffany & Co.Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF


Here's that great coral tank top again, I told you it was fantastic with blazers and cardigans of all sorts...

  • Topcoral artist tank, Merona for Target; black blazer, Ann Taylor via Melissa
  • Bottombeige pinstripe trousers, LOFT/gift from BF
  • Shoes & Accessories: black pumps, Nine West; mother of pearl teardrop earrings, Elizabeth Showers Vintage; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF


Phew this is the last outfit... for now. There are quite a few more. I'm hoping that my memory for what happened on those days or any fun outfit relates news will be easier to remember. 
  • Top: yellow ruffle embellished scoopneck shirt, New York & Company with a tank top underneath for the modesty; gray and white pinstripe blazer, Calvin Klein via Loehmanns
  • Bottom: brown pants, New York & Company
  • Shoes & Accessoriesbrown/black snake embossed ballet flats, Xhiliration for Target; white mother of pearl earrings, Elizabeth Showers Vintage; Neverfull GM, Louis Vuitton/gift from BF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...