Friday, October 7, 2011

FBFF: In the "in-crowd"

1. Do you ever see a fad hit the stores and immediately dislike it? Has that fad ever began to grow on you?

I feel like all of these questions are going to inevitably lead back to skinny jeans or (shudder) jeggings so I'll just put that out there right now. I cannot think of an item of clothing that was super trendy but, I was more against when it hit stores than the skinny jean. I thought they were unflattering, sort of immodest, and all around not for me. I mean, not all trends are for everyone so how would these wierd legging like denim things work for me? I resolved that they wouldn't and they should be relegated to super skinny model like frames...

2. Has the popularity of a certain piece of clothing or line ever convinced you to try on something (or purchase something) you dislike?

I always try things on if I am the least bit interested (rompers, those wierd ankle sandal shoes, etc.) and they don't always work (rompers, those wierd ankle sandal shoes, etc.)  and that's ok because I know for sure! Since I have been curbing my shopping I have gotten alot better at recognizing what is flattering/fits and what doesn't. It is a waste of money to buy something that is trendy and maybe kinda sorta works for you but, you don't love/it fits strangely becuase it just sits in your closet and you will wear rarely if at all. It's happened to me plenty of times before and I've learned from those mistakes. If you don't love it don't buy it even if it is the height of fashion!

3. Have you ever changed your mind about a trend after seeing it around for a while?

Now we head back to skinny jeans... Last summer I went shopping with my mother for my birthday and decided if I could find a pair in my size that were a good color I would try them on and see what all the fuss was about. When I slipped into them I completely fell in love. The color was great, the fit was perfect, and they were BEYOND comfy. I am a believer fan now, you won skinny jeans.


4. Do you feel a certain pressure to have specific items in your closet because 'everyone' else does?

Not really, maybe when I was younger because I wanted to be super cool. Now that I am a bit older I think I have super cool style without overloading it with trends and things that everyone else wears.

5. Be honest, what do you think of the Missoni line? Did you grab any items? Is it worth the eBay prices?

Honestly, I think it is SO frustrating. I will start this out by saying that generally I love Target but, they did a horrible job with the Missoni launch.

Photo courtesy of fashioninaction.blogspot.com
The line was really lovely and well designed. For the first time in a long time I was actually excited to shop and potentially spend the still over-priced $30-$50+ on something (shoes possibly a dress even though they always end up being short) They might not have been the best quality but, I thought whatever piece I selected would be a nice addition to my fall wardrobe and it was worth heading to the store and taking a look at/trying on the actual items.

Unfortunatley, because I waited a hot second to scope it out everything was gone and Target's site was down before I even had a chance to change my mind about going. Then, I was reading people's reactions and experiences about the whole thing and I was even more disgusted that Target hadn't planned it out better. One woman actually had to fighr people to get her items, got stuck in line for 45+ minutes, and then had to leave in tears without purchasing anything because of a child related obligation. Overreacting? Maybe but, my heart went out to her anyway.

Photo courtesy of webguild.com

Maybe the Target by you is nice and friendly, maybe they still have some Missoni pieces left over (where do you live?) but, that does not describe the majority of the Targets by me. My experience would have been like that woman's (minus the child) or worse. If I come across Missoni in the sales racks or at a Target far away from home I will take a look, maybe even try the items on if they are in my size but, I am so beyond the sensationalized overraction that I never even got to really have in the first place.

Check out everyone else's answers over at Modly Chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I really look forward to hearing from you...